Crystal water bottles go for $75-100 a pop or more. Why would someone drop their hard-earned cash on glass water bottles with crystals inside? To benefit from the potent healing properties of crystals, of course.
Before you guffaw, let’s consider the scientific principles behind crystal healing.
- Many crystals are as old as planet earth. The earth is electrically charged, and when you connect with the earth, such as when you stand barefoot on grass, electrons pass through the soles of your feet and into your body, helping to alleviate inflammation, improve sleep, and much more. Crystals carry the healing vibrations of the earth.
- As part of the mineral kingdom, crystals and gemstones are living organisms. They carry unique life force energies according to type, and pass these energies on to us when we work with them in a healing capacity.
Crystals transfer their healing vibrations into the water we drink and bathe in.
Some people use crystal water to heal body and mind, while others use crystal water, such as a rose quartz crystal elixir, to draw more unconditional love into their lives. But you don’t have to purchase an expensive crystal water bottle. It’s easy to make your own crystal water with the crystal(s) of your choice and a glass jar, such as a mason jar.
Two Ways to Make Crystal Water
The method you use depends on the crystals you choose. Some crystals are actually toxic when it comes to consumption. For instance, malachite is an incredibly healing gemstone. It helps balance right- and left-brain activity, acts as a curative for mental illness, encourages tissue regeneration, and more. But it emits toxic properties when it comes in contact with water. If making a malachite crystal elixir, you’ll want to use what’s called the indirect method. With the indirect method, your crystals never come in direct contact with the water. This way the water is still infused with the crystals’ properties, but at no health risk to you.
Other crystals that require the indirect method of making crystal water include selenite (because its soft and porous and dissolves in water), and hematite. When making crystal water, research the properties of the stones you choose to work with to protect against any potential toxic effects.
Other stones, such as rose quartz, clear quartz, and amethyst, are safe to use in direct contact with the water as long as they have been properly cleansed of foreign elements.
Making Your Crystal Elixir
Step 1 Clear Your Crystals: Crystals are sensitive to vibrations and emotions, so it’s necessary to clear them before making crystal water. While you are clearing your crystals, set them with an intention, such as good health, enhancing mental clarity, or a special manifestation wish.
Option #1: Bathe them in moonlight. The light of the full moon is preferable.
Option #2: Smudge them with sage.
Option #3: Dip them in an ocean, river, or lake, provided they don’t dissolve in water like selenite does.
Step 2 Charge Your Water: Fill your glass bottle up with filtered or spring water. Darker bottles, such as amber or cobalt blue, contain the crystals’ vibrations best.
Indirect Method: Surround your glass bottle with your chosen crystals or a set of mala beads that have already been charged with your intention. Alternately, you can fill a glass jar with crystals, and then put that glass jar into a larger glass jar or bowl of water.
Direct Method: Place your crystals directly in the water, but be sure to rinse your crystals off first.
Step 3 Steep in the Sun or Moon: Let your crystal elixir steep in the sun for 4 to 24 hours. Or you may want to charge your crystal water by the light of the full moon.
Drink over the next few days, or add to a bath and enjoy a nice soak.
To prolong the shelf life of your crystal water, add 50% vodka or brandy as a preservative.
3 Starter Crystals
New to making crystal water? Start with these three powerful gems!
Amethyst: Potent and purple, amethyst is thought to help balance your physical and emotional bodies. According to Judy Hall, author of The Crystal Bible, amethyst’s healing benefits include…
- Helping to combat addictions
- Balancing hormone production
- Supporting the endocrine system and metabolism
- Boosting immunity and detoxing the body
- Calming headaches and tension
Amethyst is also thought to help the lungs, respiratory system, skin, and digestive tract function properly.
Citrine: Known as the stone of confidence and personal power, citrine supports concentration, jumpstarts creativity, and elevates energy. Crystal expert Judy Hall claims citrine…
- Promotes overall wellness and energy
- Helps treat degenerative illnesses
- Activates digestion
- Helps clear bladder and kidney infections
- Strengthens vision, circulation, and thyroid function
- Alleviates constipation
- Helps remove cellulite
- Eases menstrual issues, such as hot flashes or fatigue
Rose Quartz: This healing stone of peace and love helps heal heartache, physical and emotional. In The Crystal Bible, Hall explains that rose quartz can be used to help…
- Support the circulatory system and heart
- Rid of impurities from bodily fluids
- Aid chest and lung issues
- Improve the function of the kidneys and adrenal glands
- Increase fertility
- Treat vertigo
- Help reduce the symptoms of dementia